If you have just arrived in the UK and need to insure a car, it can be difficult to know where to start. We explain the ins and outs of car insurance for those moving to the UK.

These long term insurance options are only suitable for those taking up UK residency. For short term visitors, try our Short Term Car Insurance for UK visitors.

First, try our comparison service

Our car insurance comparison service should be your first destination – it is designed to help those with full or provisional driving licences from other EEC countries, full licences from other European countries or licences from other countries worldwide – either those which require exchanging for a UK licence or those which do not.

It also allows you to insure either a car bought in the UK, or one you have imported (that may have been built to EEC specifications for example).

For most customers this will produce competitive car insurance quotations from a wide range of UK insurers, but, if you still face difficulties, please do not hesitate to contact us as above.

Specialist Insurance Brokers

Online comparison services are great but you might not be ticking the right boxes. Our Specialist Insurance Brokers can connect you to insurers that can give you credit for your driving experience and good driving history abroad when considering insurance quotes. Pop your details into the form below and we will arrange a callback very shortly.

Short Term Car Insurance for those visiting or moving to the UK

Our short term car insurance page details companies which can cover a wide range of different circumstances – and is ideal both for those wanting to borrow a car from friends or family, or re-insure a car they have stored whilst away.

Can I drive a car in the UK using my Overseas Driving Licence?

In general, yes you can for at least a year:

  • Visitors with a full and valid licence from a country in the EU or European Economic Area can drive for as long as their visit.
  • Visitors from other countries can drive for a year starting from when you last entered Great Britain.
  • EU/EEA licence holders taking up residence in the UK can drive up to the age of 70 or for 3 years whichever is longer.
  • Holders of licences from Gibraltar, Jersey, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland, Zimbabwe can drive for 12 months from when they become resident. They may also exchange their licence for a UK one within 5 years of becoming a resident.
  • Residents from other countries can drive for a year from when they became resident in GB.

This is not a complete list, for further information and to check for any updates please refer to this handy guide from the www.gov.uk driving, transport and travel

Source: Link