What is temporary car insurance?
- Fully comprehensive cover for cars from 1 day up to 84 days.
- An alternative to a 12-month policy, it’s a short term car insurance solution for everyday tasks like a trip to the supermarket or emergencies where someone may need to borrow your car but they’re not covered by your existing insurance policy.
- It’s generally a cheaper and more flexible option than buying a new policy or amending an existing one.
Who might it be good for?
- Driveaway insurance – If you want to test drive a car before you buy, or you’ve just bought a car, you might want to cover till you can arrange a longer-term solution
- Young drivers – If you’re aged under 21, don’t have your own car but have access to a friend or relatives car, you might want to take out a shorter insurance policy to cover you whilst on holiday from University or to allow you to drive to a festival
- Car enthusiasts – If you own a convertible or sports car that’s used as a second car, you might be interested in taking out weekend insurance to cover you for that short period where you want to head out and make the most of your car
- Learner drivers – If you’re learning to drive and only have time to fit in lessons every now and then, taking out insurance as and when you need it could be cheaper than taking out a full-length policy
- One day insurance – If you have an emergency or need to use a car to move home, you could arrange one-day insurance to cover your needs
How does short term car insurance work?
With the vehicle owner’s permission, you can quickly and easily arrange a policy to start from the moment you’ve bought it.
You’ll need to fill in a few bits of information:
- Details about yourself including your name and address
- Your license and driving history
- Details of the car you’d like to insure
- The date and time you’d like the cover to begin and end
A temporary car insurance policy could be useful in an emergency to sort out one-day car insurance or cover for routine tasks like taking a trip to the shop, getting to work if your car is in the garage for repair, or borrowing a bigger car to help you move house.
What does short term car insurance offer?
A short term policy offers an alternative to a 12-month car insurance policy, but if you’re unsure whether it could be what you need, take a look at some of the features it includes:
- The option of immediate cover from the moment you’ve bought it
- Peace of mind that you’re insured to drive
- Daily insurance or even cover for just one day
- Arrange cover for up to 30 days in advance
- Optional comprehensive cover for driving in Europe